Sunday, March 17, 2013

parade marching


We march in sun and cold 
Brass, drums, and flags waving
In parades for young and old
We march in sun and cold
Down the street the band unfolds
Our fight song we’re playing
We march in sun and cold
Brass, drums, and flags waving




the imaginary garden with real toads
Posted for imaginary garden with real toads Sunday Challenge to write a poem telling me how you feel about clowns, parades, or endless snare drum-with-whistle music. If you have been in a parade, did you enjoy it? If you have ever been a clown, was it your choice? If so, why? 




I've been in many parades with girl scouts and as part of the marching band. My triolet poem is about being in the marching band which was a lot of fun despite being some serious business. We even had our own creed.



The Pride of Broke Arrow: The Pride Creed
Now here is the creed of the Pride
It’s true and blue as the sky.
All who believe is shall prosper
And those who deny it, pass by
Upon this field of dreams
We all receive our due,
For this is the only place
Where all our dreams come true.
As with all things most important,
It’s where our hearts and souls abide.
For the strength of the Pride is the member,
And the strength of the member is Pride.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that creed. It makes me think of Kipling, somehow.
    It must have been fun to march with girl scouts and also with a marching band.
    I wanted so much to be in a pipe band, and so did my sister, but we both failed. I couldn't learn anything past the title of the first tune. So that kept us out of parades (and off the streets, you might say).
    Thanks for your excellent response to my parade prompt.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the closing lines, pride of association.

    ReplyDelete

Praise, constructive criticism, and discussions welcome. Pure negativity and rudeness will not be approved or tolerated.